Bonhams (TCM) Turner Classic Movies NYC Movie Memorabilia Auction
What do classic movies and antiques have in common?
They both transport us to times long gone, offering us a peek into life before multimedia, when being social meant attending a cocktail party instead of spending the evening on Facebook, and when seeing a movie meant going to a actual theater instead of watching it on your smart phone.
Perhaps that’s why so many of us love classic movie memorabilia. And what better place to see—or even bid on—some of the most memorable of movie-related items than at Bonhams TCM movie memorabilia auction in NYC on November 23rd, 2015?
Aptly titled “Treasures from the Dream Factory,” this year’s auction features a number of highly coveted items that were once used by some of Hollywood’s most famous stars of the silver screen:
- Several dresses worn by Marilyn Monroe on screen.
- The dress worn by Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz.
- One of Steve McQueen’s racing suits from Le Mans.
- The “Rosebud” sled gifted to screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz at the conclusion of principal photography for the highly acclaimed movie Citizen Kane.
- A “golden ticket” from the timeless children’s movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
Though these are likely to be among the items that will sell for the highest amounts of money, the team from Bonhams who put this auction together emphasize that the selected items—which include movie posters, artist sketches for set designs, and even working drafts of various screenplays—span a wide price range, so there’s something there for every budget.
This will be the third annual collaboration of Bonhams and TCM, with the 2013 and 2015 events proving to be huge successes, selling items such as Bert Lahr’s Cowardly Lion costume from The Wizard of Oz; the falcon statuette from The Maltese Falcon; costumes from Ben Hur; and the piano from that world famous scene in Casablanca.
If you’re interested in attending the auction, Bonhams provides a number of ways to receive more information, including:
- Watch the introductory movie, featuring Catherine Williamson discussing highlights from the upcoming sale, as well as a number of film professionals who originally owned items.
- Visit Bonham’s website to preview a number of the items and order a catalogue.
You can also preview the lots at Bonhams’ Los Angeles and NYC locations.
The dates for the Los Angeles viewings are:
- November 5 & 6, 2015 from 10am to 5pm
- November 7 & 8, 2015 from 12pm to 5pm
The dates for the NYC viewings are:
- November 20, 2015 from 10am to 5pm
- November 21 & 22, 2015 from 12pm to 5pm
- November 23, 2015 from 10am to 1pm
And remember, if you’re in NYC for the Bonham TCM auction and there’s more than movie memorabilia on your wish list, drop by our gallery on 40 West 25th Street, Gallery 113, New York. We always welcome the opportunity to connect with our readers and customers!